View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 10, 1:32 pm
dcpatti

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Having supported Exchange with BES and with Goodlink and whatever the Microsoft flavor of mobile service was (can't remember its name), I would pay the extra money for BES in a heartbeat. BES has the smallest footprint to Exchange and when you centralize on your BES, you have a lot of security and policy settings that you can use to lock the Blackberries down as hard (or as loose) as you want; iPhone, Droid etc have some policies but it's nowhere near as robust, and to be able to have an Admin send a remote kill to a lost device and know that it really does work is very nice--- even better when it's a device that a disgruntled employee may have.

You can also (if you choose) disable text services on the Blackberries and publish a company list of PIN-to-PIN numbers which would allow company users to get the same functionality as a text message, with much more controllable charges PLUS it's auditable which can turn out to be pretty important. The PIN-to-PIN messages get logged into CSV (like an excel file)which are easy enough to index with Copernic if you've got to search them, or use a third-party legal/compliance tool if you have a lot. You can't get the records of text conversations from a wireless provider without a real hassle and even then, they're only retained for a few weeks. If someone might walk into court and sue my company, I'd like to have an auditable record of whatever went on.