FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - California trip and hotels advice needed...what to do?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:37 am
bizzylizzy

Thank you so much.

Golly, thank you for responding so quickly, you are so kind.

As a matter of fact, we could have booked a complete 'everything booked' package with Trailfinders. I have nothing but praise for them. We actually asked them to quote on a flight in LA, a first night hotel and four days in San Francisco. We decided to do the middle bit ourselves. But the more we both think about it, the more it strikes us that we might be better off saving the fly drive holiday for next year or the following one when we can free up more time (and money)

I wonder if it would make sense to fly into SF, spend four or five days in the city, then drive out North for a couple of days. Maybe book a vineyard hotel. I have been told it's v difficult to book hotels in the national parks easily. I believe they book up very rapidly.

The travel agent has The Chancellor Hotel in Union Square provisional booked already for four nights. It seems a friendly place. Is it easy to take trips out of the city using tour companies or public transport, or should we hire a car?

As for budget. Good question. My hubby is a children's book author. As you probably know most authors (except JK Rowling ) are not particularly well off*. We sold our house many years ago so that he could take time off to write. We're living off savings and fresh air But we desperately need a break, so we are using more savings to pay for this holiday. We're not really burger bar types, we like to eat good food, which doesn't have to be expensive of course. We're don't like pretentious restaurants, but would probably eat in smaller and less commercial places with maybe one special meal at the end of our trip. We belong to the RSC here in Britain and actually live about half an hour away from Stratford upon Avon. We go to most of the plays there, so we were interested to hear about your Shakespeare in the park productions. I suppose those depend on the weather. We'd also like to catch a football game perhaps. We went to one in Dartmouth when we visited New England a long long time ago and were totally confused, but it was fun to watch.

Maybe I'm persuading myself to book a long week in San Francisco. Less time on holiday because it would be more expensive, but it does sound like a smashing place, and the whole 'unpacking once' idea makes it sound even better.

Thank you for your very helpful and friendly advice. I think we owe you a beer

Annie

*Trivia...I was born in the same wee Cottage hospital as JK Rowling, at a place called Yate near Chipping Sodbury in Gloucestershire UK.