FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying star alliance miles
View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:49 am
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
I'm wondering if this is a pretty good deal or if another program had a better buying miles deal - I have no affiliation with US right now - but was considering biting on this deal (for the 50K+50K):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...sept-15-a.html

I don't think that there is starnet blocking like UA?

Compared to AC it looks like only one stopover allowed but otherwise seems to fit what I would need it for (F or at least J redemption).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Yeah, it seems like a pretty good deal with the 2-for-1 offer; works out to $0.01375 per mile, plus tax. I was thinking that I might buy the 50K+50K in anticipation of a long-haul F award.

Two questions:

-- Does US allow general members to cancel or change award tickets for free? This is one of the best features of UA's program (for 1K members), though I am getting fed up with their StarNet blocking.

-- Can you search for and put on hold a ticket if you don't have the miles in your account? I.e., reserve a ticket, then buy the miles? This may be moot if you can go on-line and buy the miles instantly while you're on hold with the US agent booking your flight. Perhaps someone can describe how the process works.