Old Aug 20, 10, 10:21 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by matthew gulino View Post
Yes, I was lucky all these years. I have always said that the Marco Island property was special for several reasons. Their staff is top notch, the beach is incredible, and they have been, traditionally, VERY generous with upgrades. I did state that I know I am not "entitled" to these upgrades, but have become accustomed to them over the years, and have never been denied a room that would otherwise go empty, with the perfectly reasonable exception of suites!

Yeah, of course I understand it would be impossible to communicate this change to all previous guests, but given that, I think they should try to help this transition by being lenient to those of us who are used to the old policy by providing a one time courtesy. This is what they eventually did for me, I just wish I didn't have to almost walk to another resort for that to happen.

Furthermore, if there are other Marco Island guests like me who have become accustomed to their generous upgrades in the past, then this post is here to provide warning to them so they do not get hit with the unwelcome surprise I found at check-in.

Of course it is their right to change how they do business, and it is my right to go to another property, and that was the choice I had made. I never stood there and said "give me this upgrade or I'm going elsewhere". When I made the decision to leave, I had called Hilton, checked their rates, and I was actually ready to go. This was not a "head fake". It was their decision to attempt to retain my business, and they were successful. Nothing about this back-and-forth was anything but polite and respectful, on both sides.

I'm not saying their position is unreasonable. Simply undesirable. You're right, they may very well make more money with this policy, but not from someone like me. You give me a room upgrade, and trust me, I'm in the mood to SPEND on incidentals.

One more interesting point - if the original, lowest available rate I had booked had been $69 more expensive per night, and I got the upgrade, I would have been thrilled (even though I would be paying EXACTLY what they asked me to pay extra at check-in). There's just something about that feeling of being upcharged at check-in that rubs me the wrong way.

And yes, I HAVE written the GM in the past to thank him for how well his staff has treated me, at the front desk and throughout the property. I'm not ungrateful.
While I'm w/ the others that I think you were lucky to get an upgrade for multiple years running as a silver, I also understand your disappointment when it didn't happen.

I also appreciate you not doing histrionics in your original post or subsequent posts. Whether we agree w/ them or not, the tone is not the typical DYKWIA (granted, hard to do that w/ Silver, but you know what I mean).

And unlike others I give you a bit of credit of saying, hey this is enough of a dealbreaker for me I'll check out & head down to the Hilton where I can get something better for less $$. It's actions like that (especially if communicated - as you did) to the hotel management that will let them gauge the outcome of the decision on their policy. Now the management may say, screw it, we'll make more out of the upsell than we'll lose to the Hilton - fair enough. They might say maybe we'll reconsider. But they won't know if someone doesn't provide the feedback.

FWIW - I know folk who own some condos down there but have a lot of family who visit quite a lot & usually stay at the Marriott & get upgraded. Granted, these folk could probably afford to buy the hotel (I am not kidding!!), but weirdly enough upgrades still mean something to them. I'll let them know of the recent change in policy.

Thanks for posting, be aware of the policy in the future - now get off the computer & enjoy the view!

Cheers.