FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 6 nights on Maui but where?
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:48 pm
ck2003

i've stayed at the grand wailea and the westin villas. both times we were with kids. the grand wailea is a nice resort but some of the rooms can be pretty bad. avoid ground floor chapel wing. at the westin villas we had a 1 bedroom in the south villas and it was great. i liked the south villas because the grilling area was closer to the beach and close to the breakfast restaurant. but if you get a studio rather than a 1-br on the south side, they don't have lanais! a must for me when i go to hawaii.
if i were on my honeymoon in maui, my first choice would probably be to stay in wailea (i like the beaches better in the south) either at the four seasons or the fairmont. space would be less important (w/o kids) and service would matter more. if the renovated fairmont pools aren't noisy due to construction then it's definitely the better deal. but assuming that you would spend a fair amount of time at the resort i wouldn't pay to stay at a place that was under loud construction during my honeymoon no matter how good a deal it was.
btw, you might consider visiting the luxury hotels thread on this forum. they have tips on how you can get the most out of your stay at luxury properties. i've also used whatahotel.com to check on rates. fs maui right now has 5th night free which makes it $476/night for garden view and if you book with a preferred partner you get amenities like free breakfast and lunch credit. and the fs have a lot of free amenities, like cabanas, that other resorts would charge for. with the fairmont if you book through a virtuoso agent you can also have breakfast included. at kea lani i checked 9/19-9/25 just to see the rates at whatahotel.com and it was $299/night for ocean view breakfast included.
good luck!

Last edited by ck2003; Aug 18, 2010 at 10:58 pm