Old Aug 6, 10, 10:42 am
mselectra

REI Stratocruiser Wheeled Pack 22'' -- actual dimensions and any thoughts on it?

Hi -- I'm brand-new to FlyerTalk (enjoying reading through various threads) and thought you all might be right group to ask for help on this -- hope for a first post I don't sound too clueless :

I'm interested in the REI Stratocruiser Wheeled Pack 22'' -- http://www.rei.com/product/778779 -- which I would use to replace a beat-up cheap old carry-on. Although it has 22" in its name and is listed under carry-on bags on the REI website, their specs say it's 23 x 14.5 x 9.5 inches. Their live online help was no help, so wondering if anyone on here has an idea what the actual dimensions might be?

The issue is that it really has to work as a carry-on; I don't want to take any chances, but I also don't want to have to get a smaller bag (like 18") if I can help it.

A little more on where I'm coming from, if it's helpful (or ignore the following): I know a 22" is pushing the carry-on restriction for some airlines or planes, but I measured the one I've been using the last few years and it hits 22x14x9 pretty exactly (including wheels) and I haven't had any trouble with it, plus I can pack enough in it to, ideally, never have to check a bag again for the kind of travel I do. I definitely want wheels, and I really like the idea of it converting to a back-pack for occasional convenience. My guess is I wouldn't use the back-pack straps much, but all things being equal, I'd rather have them. If I give up on the back-pack part, I like the looks of the REI Tech Beast Rolling Duffel - 22" and Patagonia also has a wheeled pack I was interested in, but REI looked better. Any thoughts on those? I do need to be budget-conscious on this purchase, and I don't travel as much as most of you, so I don't think it would be worth it to spring for something similar but a lot more money, like Eagle Creek.

Many thanks to anyone who might have any thoughts on this -- and happy travels either way!