FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving to Germany
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:44 pm
LAXRuss

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by mia
No, but you can ask to have points transferred from one to the other. The transfer ratio will reflect the currency exchange rate.

You should read about American Express' Global Transfers service which will help you qualify for a card in Germany based on your USA history:

https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...nsfer_en.shtml

You may also wish to compare the International Euro Currency Card versus cards issued in Germany (or compare the International Dollar Card versus retaining your USA-issued card):

http://www.americanexpress.com/lacid...uro_card.shtml
As you consider how to best maximize card benefits and the MR program, I would look at the issue from three perspectives:

(1) While I have understood that you can transfer points between country MR accounts through the Global Transfer program, I have always assumed this is not an everyday occurance where you can transfer on a weekly or monthly basis, but is rather a courtesy that they offer when you move to a different country and establish a new AMEX account. (If someone does transfer points commonly, I would appreciate hearing about the experience.)

(2) Before you move MR points back and forth, I suggest you look at not only the global transfer program point transfer formulas, but also the rewards themselves. There are slightly different award partners and point conversion formulas among countries. For instance, the air partners for the U.S. MR program are slightly different from the IDC MR program (I don't think there are all the same Star Alliance relationships with IDC). Similarly, I think U.S. MR converts points 1MR= 1 mile for the AF/KL Flying Blue program while the IDC program is 100,000MR = 80,000 or 90,000 Flying Blue miles, ie. less than 1 for 1.

(3) Regarding the IDC program-- I checked once and if you have both IDC and IEC cards, the program will not allow you to pool MR points but requires you to have two separate accounts. The Intl Card program in London as I understand, will allow you to obtain the other card at 50% off if you already have a primary card in the other currency-- i.e. if you have an IDC, you can obtain an IEC for an additional 50% of the IEC's annual fees. However, that additional cost, combined with the fact that the MR programs are not pooled, left me feeling that I should simply maintain the account in the primary currency I use and pay the FOREX charges. In the end, I pay less in those fees than a 50% discounted additional card and I can pool the points in the one account.