FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Rhodes, Greece [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:54 am
sent

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
I had wrote a short review as part of the "Starwood Properties - Greece" thread. I'll repost it here and add some more to help out fellow FTers because I was lost too when my husband told me we were staying at this hotel despite me not finding any reviews of it.

We stayed at the Sheraton Rhodes on our honeymoon in early June.
Sheraton Rhodes looked and felt like any upscale chain hotel from the US. Nice pool, decent restaurant, access to the beach, bus stop right out front. We had a good time here too because the vibe of the island was so different. Santorini and Mykonos had honeymooners everywhere while at Rhodes it felt like we were the only honeymooners in between all the parents with young children and the senior citizen tour groups. Rhodes was also much more friendly to our wallets. Drinks at the Sheraton were literally half the cost than Vedema/Mystique in Santorini.

As far as the hotel itself, staff were friendly at check-in. We had just joined the SPG program earlier in the honeymoon, so we had no status and got assigned what I assume is a standard room with a king bed on the 12th floor. I believe my husband had paid extra to book a sea view room and that is what we were given. There is a business center to the right of the check-in where we checked our emails. We did not purchase internet during our trip. The lights in the room are controlled with your room key. The front desk staff gave us a map of town and told us how to navigate around and what to expect. I don't recall minute details of the room or bathroom except everything was clean and easy to use. We didn't have to call housekeeping for anything. Strawberries with a yummy dipping sauce and small nut sprinkles and champagne were brought up to our room soon after we checked in. Again, not sure if this is standard or because it was our honeymoon. We enjoyed these while sitting on our balcony one afternoon. I don't recall if there was a turndown service although I'm inclined to think there wasn't because I would remember if there were chocolates on my pillow.

We spent time by the bar by the pool and ordered some snacks. The bartender was friendly, making me fruity girly drinks at his whim. My husband, happy to see the "half price" drinks (compared to Santorini & Mykonos), took the opportunity to explore their apertifs and digestifs. Some of the pool menu items had a Asian influence to them. We also ate at the Meditteraneo restaurant for dinner one night and ate out in Old Town the other night. Food was average and they had some traditional dancers with live music that night as entertainment during dinner. My chicken schwarma meal came with french fries and our server had a difficult time understanding that I didn't want french fries but eventually she got it right and sent over sauteed spinach instead. The chicken was not from the spit they have rotating next to the restaurant and was nothing special. My husband's meal was much better than mine but neither of us can recall what he had. They had a dessert sampler on the menu which we ordered and that was enjoyable. On a side note, we ate at Marco Polo restaurant in Old Town on the recommendation of the front desk our first night in Rhodes and loved it. It's not on the main roads in the Old Town so can be tough to spot but it is worth it to ask for directions and find it. Delicious, extremely friendly staff, a warm and homey ambiance in the garden setting, and so affordable! So to be fair, after Marco Polo the first night, dinner at Meditteraneo the second night felt very average.

Breakfast was included in our rate and was good, huge selection of pastries, hot foods, cereal, fruit, etc. so you're bound to find something you like to eat. We also noticed the main restaurant had a dinner buffet in the evening too. I'm not sure if this was available for all guests to purchase or if it was a leftover from when the hotel was an all-inclusive.

My husband went over to the beach at one point. Very easy to get there, you just walk under the roadway and the whole walk there is connected to the hotel. They have beach chairs out for guests of the Sheraton.

We took the bus to Old Town a few times and would catch it right out in front of the hotel. Bus fare was something like 2 euros and change. We usually took a cab back at night and it cost us 10 - 12 euros.

One night we walked along the beach toward town. Judging from the hotels we saw, the Sheraton Rhodes felt like the best choice in that area.

Last edited by sent; Aug 1, 2010 at 9:00 am