FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DENVER: Hyatt Regency vs. Grand Hyatt
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:43 pm
The Bargain Hunter

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by air-
I'm flying in for a weekend stay to attend a buddy's wedding. Have a reservation at the HR but seeing this thread get recently updated has me debating on switching over to the GH. Has anyone stayed at either of the two properties on a FFN/BWB redemption? If you are diamond, did you get upgraded?
I have stayed at HR several times, GH once. These stays have been as a family of 4. If using an upgrade certificate, suites at HR are very nice, with a double-size murphy bed in the suite, which attaches to either a king or 2 dbl bed adjoining room. I agree with everything others have said about the differences between the two hotels, and I slightly prefer the HR over the GH.

HOWEVER, it seems that the HR seems to get a lot of youth cheer/dance teams staying there on weekends, as has been the case the past 4 times I've done weekend stays in downtown Denver Hyatts. If you have RC access and are not interested in using the pool, this is not too big of a deal, but if you're doing a breakfast-included stay, things can get a little crowded at the Altitude restaurant in the mornings, resulting in long waits for a table. Our recent GH stay had no sports teams staying there, but we did see groups of young people walking from the HR to the convention center when we drove past that hotel. I have no problems with these groups, and our family is sometimes with one of those sports teams, but it definitely makes for a more crowded hotel experience.

Weekend rates for both of these hotels have been slowly creeping up over the past 18 months as the economy improves, but you can still get a weekend rate of about $119/night if your timing is right.