FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yes, Virginia, you DO earn Honors points on your resort fees - and here's how
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:52 pm
crhptic

Yes, Virginia, you DO earn Honors points on your resort fees - and here's how

This should probably be added to the sticky since I've searched the forum and not come up with a relevant topic.

I've had several stays over the years at Hilton family hotels that charged me resort fees, and invariably points DON'T get awarded on the resort fee.

I thought this was business as usual until I read the detailed section of the HHonors terms and conditions about earning, which states:

The term "eligible folio charges" for Hilton®, Conrad® Hotels and Resorts, Doubletree®, Embassy Suites®, Hilton Garden Inn®, Hilton Grand Vacations® and Waldorf Astoria* hotels shall mean: room rate, food and beverage, telephone, laundry, pay-per-view movies, entertainment and recreational facilities, and other incidental charges charged to the Member's room during the Member's stay. Dining room or other charges not billed to a Member's room during a stay are not eligible for credit. Such Hilton Family hotels may omit for purposes of point accrual, incidental charges by non-affiliated hotel entities which are not owned and/or operated by the hotel including, but not limited to, food and beverage outlets, gift shop, drugstore, clothes, gallery or specialty stores, recreational or entertainment concessions. The term "eligible folio charges" for Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites® and Homewood Suites by Hilton® hotels mean room rate only.

I took this to mean that resort fees, although not specifically named, are definitely charged by the hotel and would fall under "other incidental charges charges to the Member's room".

I called up the US HHonors center and the rep I discussed it with wasn't sure, but spoke with a supervisor and after doing so said that they agreed with me. I had a couple of stays from last month where the points didn't post on the resort fee. Their suggestion was that I email HHonors at hilton dot com with the subject line of "stay credit adjustment" explaining that points should have been awarded on the resort fee. I did this, along with my confirmation #s and the amounts of the resort fees, and within 24 hours had the extra credits added to my account.

Their explanation of why the points hadn't been given was that the resort fee charges were "not in my folio" which is completely bogus as I had a printed copy of the folio from the hotel and they were in there; I think it's just standard practice not to award the points on resort fees absent a complaint. I recall other stays at the same hotels (all in Puerto Rico) years ago where I also didn't get points on the resort fee, although I never did anything about it at the time beyond think that it seemed unfair.

With many hotels now charging resort fees of $20+ per night, this is a several thousand point issue for those of us on longer stays. Hilton T&C's allow you 6 months from stay date to request adjustments for those that have had this happen to them recently.

Hope this info is useful to many.