FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone use Verizon Nationwide plus Canada?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:43 pm
aly

Originally Posted by weekilter
If you wish to do a contract it will require them to do a Canadian credit history look up.
agreed; no contract soln is prepaid and alos WIND since it is essentially a Month to Month plan (MTM);

Originally Posted by carolinelb
We are all looking forward to dropping Bell, and the kids don't need to have data plans or smartphones at this time. They have more than enough internet access as it is! My son says the Palm Pre is not a good product. Our contract will end on Aug 31, the kids hate the cheap phones and are eager to ditch them. I wanted sturdy flip phones for them, like we have from Verizon, but the Bell phone is noticeably lower quality. Even the predictive text software is poor quality. I hate the cost - it's annoying that they charge for call display and voice mail.

Because of their strong desire for a quality phone, I explored getting a 7-11 Speakout phone with sim card, the Verizon Escapade (which is dual CDMA and a sim card, marketed for travel) unlocking it, and putting the sim card in it. But reviews of the Escapade are not great.

I see some real potential with toktumi, although my son doesn't like it that he would have to speed dial to connect to toktumi, and then place the call. I think that's relatively simple, and when they add texting, it will be just what we need, if it is reliable enough. I'm going to try it out starting on the 30th, so I'll have it on my phone when I visit my son in August, and we can both give it a try.

As I mentioned before, I am concerned about long distance charges for their friends, but it seems that a number of my daughter's friends are using Verizon in Toronto without causing extra cost for others.

Oh, and it was a bit difficult to get those Bell phones with a US credit card, so our daughter got a Canadian credit card. Which I am considering commandeering every time I go up there, just to avoid fees. I don't want to give up the AA mileage, so I will have to do some math to figure out the best option.
The good thing with BELL pre promo is once you get the pre you can convert your CDMA (pre phone) plan into a HSPA (sim card) plan online for free and maintain the 35$ price point; this is moot considering you want to leave BELL;

Keep in mind as well that most of the student price plans will be coming out really soon, within the next 2-3 weeks i would think;
TOKTUMI is primarily a 2nd line option if u need a mobile option; it can be used as a landline replacement if u wish..

Depending on your needs for mobility; NA access; SMS, LD, etc another option is a pure data line combined with a VOIP (SKYPE, TOKTUMI, GOOGLE VOICE) and some of the SMS via data options out there..

The options are limitless in terms of costing; data, SMS, etc but this link can give you a some info on WIND; http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-FAQ-%E2%98%85
and this link is specifically geared towards CELL phones and plans, its a well known blog called HOWARDFORUMS; http://www.howardforums.com/forum.php

Good luck and let us know if u need any more info;

a.