FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone use Verizon Nationwide plus Canada?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:12 pm
carolinelb

Programs: SWA rapid rewards, AAdvantage
Anyone use Verizon Nationwide plus Canada?

We live in the US, and our kids go to university in Toronto, Canada.

We have had 2 cell phone plans - Verizon for all in the US, and Bell for the kids when in Toronto.

After too much research, it looks like we will save $80 a month consolidating by moving everyone to Verizon Nationwide plus Canada, and getting text messaging for each line.

We never have been charged for using our Verizon phones in Canada to text either Canada or the US, but Verizon says this incurs an additional charge...

Does anyone have any experience with the plan? I'm wondering whether those text charges might eventually be applied, and also whether Canadians receiving texts might incur long distance charges. Looking at Bell's site, they charge more for incoming long distance texts. Theoretically, texts made in Canada should not be long distance, but I don't trust Bell.

My kids and I are worried that their friends may be stuck with extra fees if they use Nationwide plus Canada, and that there are other disadvantages I haven't yet discovered.