FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta's Decrepit Fleet
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:44 am
andrewpartyman

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Delta's Decrepit Fleet

Emirates just announced that they are buying 30 additional 777-300ERs from Boeing, bringing their total 777 fleet to 101 planes. I won't even mention the nice Airbuses they have (A380-800s) etc. Is Delta ever going to be a legitimate international airline? Their 767s are old, dated, and hardly "best in class" as the VAST VAST majority do not have AVOD or service comparable to any of their foreign competitors. Last week Delta had three 767s with mechanical issues at JFK in one day. Yes, much better than a 767 at the bottom of the Atlantic, but I find it more as a precursor of things to come. Why is Delta's fleet so irrelevant? How did they miss the plane completely with 777s? Their 747s (ex NWA as we know) are a joke. How can you fly from NRT-DTW 11 hours and not even have AVOD? Delta never seems to look too far ahead. They add WIFI on domestic flights (ground based) yet airlines like Emirates have satellite WIFI that works over the ocean. Seems like Delta loves spending money twice: once to do ground-based WIFI and then the inevitable satellite WIFI they will eventually upgrade to in 2020. So no new planes = poor fuel efficiency = lost potential to make profits = inability to acquire new planes. I find it humorous that the "best in class" airline is buying discarded MD-90s from China (wow America, we rock) and people are excited about this on flyertalk. I would be excited if Delta could add one new 777 a year, much less 30 purchases at a time!

That's my rant, have a good day everyone.