FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA.com CPM Calculator Extension (Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome)
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:36 pm
imagineertobe

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
AA.com CPM Calculator Extension (Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome)

Fellow FlyerTalkers,

Finding myself often wanting to compare CPMs on the fly, I have written an Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome extension/plugin that will do the work for me, and thought I'd share.

The Basics
Current version: 1.1.3 (20 May 2011)

General info at flyertools.kduarte.com

Safari: Install NinjaKit first, then install the AA CPM script from userscripts.org.
Firefox: Install GreaseMonkey first, then install the AA CPM script from userscripts.org.
Chrome: Install directly from the Google Chrome Extension Gallery (no need to install the script separately).

Help & discussion/suggestions here! If you see any NaN errors, please let me know so that I can fix them.

Motivation
This extension was born out of my own need to calculate CPMs. I sincerely want to see the extension improve, and I hope that users will submit feedback in this thread. Given such feedback, I hope to release future versions when appropriate.

Functionality
The extension will run on the Price & Schedule matrix pages at aa.com, and will (currently) only compute CPMs for the most discounted economy fare column (the left-most one).

The extension assumes distances from GPS coordinates of airports (which may vary slightly from AA's official flight distances), and adds $9.95 in taxes per segment, up to two segments, for those customers purchasing in dollars. Obviously, this assumption is inaccurate for flights to/from AK, HI, PR, USVI, and abroad, but still provides a general guide to compare CPMs by itinerary.

Screenshot

Nota Bene
This extension is written entirely by me on volunteer time. It is in no way written, distributed, endorsed, supported, or in any other way related to American Airlines other than using pricing data AA provides publicly on its website. The extension demands none (zero, zip, nada) of AA's web server resources to calculate CPMs.

Peace.

Last edited by imagineertobe; May 20, 2011 at 7:08 am Reason: Updated info