FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Island in the South Pacific to Visit from SYD?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:45 pm
tmm1012

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
If you're getting to SYD from NA with UA miles and haven't ticketed, then don't forget about the free stopover for UA awards to Aus/NZ ...
Great suggestion to remember - this trip I'm planning is actually from the Tware that UA had last week, and I got a great deal on a paid fare, so unfortunately no stopover.

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
+1.

The nearest non-Australian neighbour from SYD is New Caleodonia which doesn't have what you are looking for. Then its New Zealand and then you are talking Fiji, Vanuatu and are soon more than 5 flight hours away already.

So Queensland looks like the place for you. Cairns, Gold Cost or anything in between.
Thanks for the input so far. Sorry I should have clarified a little more - I've already been to Cairns, the Gold Coast, and Auckland, and am looking to see somewhere new. I have actually found flights through AA on Air Pacific nonstop SYD-NAN and I have just enough miles for that. I don't mind the 4-5 hour flight, and really would like to explore one of the islands. The two best possibilities for I've found thus far are award flights to NAN and RAR, but is RAR what I'm looking for at all? Or is there a better island for what I'm looking for? Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!