FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - G'day, kia orana - it's another inaugural flight in Air New Zealand business class
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:23 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sydney transit

The *A pier international transit security was empty except for half a dozen officers, so I expected to get pulled for a "random" explosives check and pat down which nearly always occurs when I go through an empty transit here. I was pleasantly surprised to not be stopped so I scurried upstairs as quick as I could just in case.

Since I didn't have a boarding pass I proceeded to the service desk just inside the lounge where I was told it was impossible to check in from within the lounge. Oh really, I guess I imagined all the other times I've done this. Anyway, the transfer desk on departures level wouldn't be open for a while so, having checked my credentials (card and looked up my flight in the system) I was "allowed to remain in the lounge". Harrumph.

The lounge was packed with Americans headed home for 4th July. I had a pumpkin tart for the occasion.

I did some work for some time and then went to have a shower. Towels are no longer stored in the shower rooms so back to the service desk to get one. There I was told I must go to transfer desk outside to check in because it is closing in 10 minutes. Geez, what service!

I trudged down to the transfer desk which is staffed by a contract Qantas agent. The agent hadn't heard of the new flight so didn't believe me when I asked to be checked in for Rarotonga and then onwards. Eventually I convinced her to try checking me in and I got an exclamation of "wow, didn't expect to see that" when my booking came up. I spotted a problem with my boarding pass when it was handed to me (wrong destination!), which she was unable to rectify so she needed to call Air NZ to confirm that it would be okay. After a bit of palaver I was free to return to the lounge, where I promptly had a refreshing shower.

There was still some time to go until boarding so I did some more work, had a few drinks and tried to ignore the really annoying elevator music playing on endless repeat.