FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - upgrading to World business class
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:50 am
jaco

Programs: Skyteam, AsiaMiles
Originally Posted by hexagon
1. Has anyone has experience with this? Any idea what the discount is?
Yes, I got offered a paid upgrade when checking in for AMS - SIN about a year ago.

I remember that half the price of the economy (class V) round trip ticket plus the upgrade price was about the same as half the price of the lowest business class round trip fare. So there is no point in upgrading both legs of your trip in this way (if at all possible) when you can get the lowest business class fare for the round trip beforehand.

It's not a generous discount. I accepted it because flying east against the clock the convenience of business class has a high added value to me. I flew back in economy (and did not get offered a paid upgrade again).

3. Will the miles you receive afterwards be the miles you have booked before under the S or Y rate or does the person get the business class miles (meaning with 125-175% extra miles)?
Unfortunately it was based on the economy class rate (V in my case). I expected business class miles and wrote a complaint to Flying Blue. However, FB confirmed that the miles were calculated correctly and I could not find any proof to support my claim. So, I left it at that.