FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:48 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I had a three-night stay on the AAA Breakfast rate over the July 4th weekend. Overall, I had a nice time and would return. The location, which my cousin warned would be "soulless," I thought was okay. Benefits are that the subway is next door, and the hop-on, hop-off bus lines stop behind the hotel.

The rooms were of a good size and clean. I thought the showerhead-in-ceiling was interesting, but my wife and MIL did not care for it as much, as it was hard for them to shower without getting their hair wet. The in-room flat-screen TVs seemed rather small for this day and age. Maybe 32 inches?

I thought the breakfast buffets were as good as I would have expected for a HR. My wife, however, who has become a bit spoiled by FS of late, was not so enthusiastic about the brekky. For some reason, the pitcher of egg liquid they would bring out from the kitchen with which to make omelets made very orange eggs. We couldn't figure that one out, especially when the chef told me they don't use frozen eggs.

The biggest hiccup was that I requested an eStandby upgrade to a suite from a king-bedded room. I got the upgrade, but to a Deluxe Suite with two full beds, rather than a king. We did not want the smaller bedding, and the manager said that all other suites were full -- sounds like luxury was in the Presidential -- so we opted to downgrade ourselves back into a normal room. This apparently wasn't easy, as the hotel was quite full over the weekend. Thus, check in took what felt like 30 minutes. The manager gave us a balcony room to make up for the trouble. I am still baffled, however, as to why the hotel would change our bed type (I am a Platinum, btw) to clear the upgrade. I did not want full beds, and I would have been annoyed if I was forced to stay in such a room. Maybe it was because I called the day before asking about the upgrade? Or perhaps they just wanted the extra $60-ish per day of revenue. . . .