FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Limit to how much cash I can bring on my person into Japan?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:49 am
Ichinensei

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by tonight we fly
Hi there

I will be going to Japan for roughly 3 months and want to know what is the best way to bring money over there. I am Canadian and I don't really want to use my credit/debit cards there because of the extra fees I would be charge per transaction. Although, if it is possible to take money out of the ATM machines there using my Canadian debit card, I could withdraw a certain amount each week and be charged a one-time fee, which to me sounds reasonable... However, would the exchange rate be as good as the rates I could get here?

Thank you in advance!
From my experience the exchange rate is very good. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable travelling with $8000 on me. Why don't you bring less - and withdraw the rest there.

All Canadian bank card works there - go to the post office ATM or 7/11.
If you have a TD Bank card, the charges are... $5 per withdrawal at the time of withdrawal + the usual $1.25 or $2.00 they charge you at the end of the month for withdrawing from a machine other than TD's or whatever your bank is. Not sure if it is $1.25 or $2.00 now.

If i were you, I'd bring like $3000 with me, and make 2 $2500 withdrawal later.