FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:59 am
Mountain Trader

Back in April when the volcano disruptions were heaviest, I misquoted Rule 261, saying that I didn't hotel costs would be covered. Several people disagreed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for Rule 261:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulat...#Applicability

Note under the Cancellation section that an exception to the requirement to provide (among other items) accommodations is made when "the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure". I would be surprised if some type of force majeure/Act of God exception did not exist in every rule of every country.

What you are saying is absolutely wrong. Even the link you provided proves that…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Note under the Cancellation section that an exception to the requirement to provide (among other items) accommodations is made when "the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure". I would be surprised if some type of force majeure/Act of God exception did not exist in every rule of every country.

The link clearly states that the exception is only in reference to compensation, not accommodation.

I thought I'd see how this turned out and I read a few threads today. Maybe I missed some posts about payments but it seems LH hasn't paid very many claims.

Does anyone still think the majority of the hotel claims will be paid?