FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taken for a smooth ride
View Single Post
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:51 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Gynob001
I paid for a package deal (Hotel and car rental) from a website and had an unpleasant surprise when I arrived at Thrifty. The price was supposed to include tax and insurance. I was charged for these. In addition, The counter agent told me in no uncertain terms that I had to buy a full tank of gas (although I had less than 50 miles RT from my Hotel). I will be weary of package deals in future.
In my experience, this requirement is always clearly explained in the package terms and conditions (if your package deal included insurance, then it must have been bought through one of the foreign tour package operations).

For example, this is from http://prepaid.thrifty.co.uk:

C.FUEL POLICY.

Company offers all of its Vehicles to Renters full of gas/petrol, and Renters are charged at the commencement of the rental an amount based on the average self-service pump price. Renters are instructed to return the vehicle as empty as possible. No refund is provided for unused fuel.
The same site sells a "Platinum Package" for approximately $15 more per day that includes this tank of fuel.

If you didn't book through the above site, then your complaint should be directed at whomever sold you the tour package, as it is their responsibility to make you aware of the particulars of the rental.

Otherwise, for those who do need the bundled coverage, the rates available through the prepaid packages are vastly superior to what's available for purchase at the rental counter, so keep that in mind before swearing off the prepaid deals altogether.

(If you're a US resident with your own insurance that extends to rental cars, then it's probably not necessary to go with the prepaid deals, though.)