FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:38 pm
mrpickles

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by happy2traveler202
I absolutely agree it was probably people who totally abused this program that got cancelled. There are reports of people ordering $20,000 or more at a time, having the ups guy load it directly into their trunks, and then heading to the bank to deposit them. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you don't try to order more than the limit and do put them into circulation rather than simply depositing in your account.
I object to your description of an order of $20k as being an abuse of the program. At the time, large orders were allowed and encouraged by the US Mint. I for one have placed multiple orders of $24,750 in the same day and had them shipped without delay.

I am one of hundreds who did this and there was no abuse of the program. The reason it got heat was because of a flyertalker who only did $10k in her lifetime and then vomited all of the details to a WSJ reporter who jumped on the story. I was told first hand by witnesses who saw her explaining all of the details and talked his ear off, even so far as to point him to this thread.

We were all buying these coins without any problems until this happened during StarMega Do 1. Within 4 weeks the program began to change drastically.

I am still purchasing about $3k a week using my techniques and anticipate another change in the program prior to year end.