FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:02 am
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I will join the many others thanking Kevin for clarifying the T&C's of this promotion. Based on the clarification provided, a friend and I will be booking tickets to take advantage of this promotion. Note that it was the combination of the promotion and the clarification of the T&C's that will result in our purchase and revenue to DL. Without Kevin's clarification, there would have been no purchase by us and that revenue to DL would have been lost.

Without getting into how DL does in comparison to other carriers, I'd hazard that DL seems to have a disconnect between the folks who decide what the promotions will be (surely that decision included whether the beyond-hub connecting flights would qualify for double MQM's) and the folks who write the T&C. There may also be a need for some creativity in analyzing the T&C's and the myriad ways the promotion could be exploited.

It's long been said that FT is a focus group for airlines served up for free on a silver platter. But having all this get hashed out in public adds to some confusion and can generate some illwill.

I suggest that Delta consider making a real private focus group of FTers to "vet" T&C's for promotions like this. Participants would identify the many permutations of how fliers could try to participate in the promotion and thus identify any ambiguities in the T&C's. Delta's T&C-writers could then clarify the language before the promotion goes live. Delta could bind the focus group to secrecy by contract, compensate them with miles (low cost to Delta, real value to FT types), and enforce the secrecy provisions on pain of miles forfeiture and account closure-- now that would scare us silent!

....just a thought.