FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Major QF Schedule Change on Award Itinerary Booked through AA. Advice?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 1:32 pm
Flying Buccaneer

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
If you accept this option, does the rest of the itinerary still work? Is this a daytime layover? If so, I'd be tempted to accept it and make the best of it if it keeps you out of coach. If you hold out for Qantas to respond and don't get the answer you want, you could be at risk of losing the alternative routing.

Have you been to Brisbane before? I've been to Brisbane quite a bit over the years, most recently last year after OzFest, and you could easily occupy the layover time there by taking the train directly from the airport into the city. PHOTOS You could even go all the way down to the Gold Coast if you wanted to. Brisbane has a pretty good network of ferries, buses and train to get around.

I did the A380 last month to SYD and slept a good 8 hours, so you might find yourself well rested and able to make use of the time in Brisbane.
I've been to BNE a few times, but the LAX-SYD-AKL routing is a little preferable, even with the 12-hour layover in SYD. I think I would rather be "stuck" in SYD for 12 hours than in BNE for 9, given that both alternatives get into AKL around the same time.