FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30
Old Jun 21, 2010, 6:09 am
broadwayblue

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Hey guys, I have redeemed many free nights using starpoints but have never used airline miles before. I value starpoints at 3-6 cents/point since this is the typical redemption rate that we receive. Can someone explain to me why one would want to move large amounts of starpoints to AA miles? Can the AA miles be valued even higher than starpoints? I've only heard horror stories about trying to get award redemptions out of the airlines. Thanks for the input!
60k starpoints at a valuation of $.03 is $1,800. If you transfer the same 60k to AA with this promotion you end up with 101,250 AA miles. That's enough miles for a business class ticket to Europe or Asia which "sells" for much more than $1,800 (or $3,600.) Don't forget that the miles can be redeemed for partner awards on any OneWorld member including Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines or Qantas. AA award redemptions are pretty good, and I'd go so far as to say very good if you can plan a bit in advance and have some flexibility in your schedule.

Last edited by broadwayblue; Jun 21, 2010 at 6:15 am