FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help planning for Hawaii 9 nights (Aug 3-12)
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:45 am
tinzplace

Oahu and BI

Aloha! You'll be heading over to Hawaii when my hubby and I are heading home (whah... I know we won't want to leave!).

We would have loved to do what you are doing because we wanted to see Oahu, too. I can only speak from the point of someone who has done extensive research over the last few months (this is also my first trip), but from what I read, it sounds like you would need much more time on the BI because it's so spread out, but you could easily enjoy yourselves on Oahu, too, for a few days at the end of the trip.

Don't be discouraged by the order in which you're doing things. Hawaii is Hawaii, period! Since my hubby and I live on the East Coast Mainland, going at all is a huge dream come true for both of us, and I'm sure you may feel the same way since it's your first trip. If we were going to Oahu, we'd do Pearl Harbor, Waikiki (not because we like crowds but because we just love beaches, and they show movies on the beach there at night, supposedly), and then the North Shore. We would have LOVED to have taken the Lost tour since we are huge fans of the show, but there is so much more to do there. Actually, you've got a great order in mind. You can do the more strenuous hiking and sightseeing, Mauna Kea, etc., on the BI and then hang out and relax on Oahu before you leave. We're not fans of crowds either, but it wouldn't stop us from enjoying ourselves on Oahu!

On the BI, we're planning to do all of the following: hike Waipio Valley, hang out at Kahalu'u and some of the other major beaches, do a few boat tours and a luau, take a tour or drive up to Mauna Kea to see the stars, and hang out in Volcanoes National Park. We may also check out Pololu Valley. We're going to spend two days alone in Volcanoes National Park so we can see lava at night if possible and also check out the Kilaeau Iki Trail. We've got a huge week planned, but it will really be fun! We're not even 100% sure we'll be able to do everything, but this is a trip of a lifetime to us, so of course we're going to do all we can do! (We're going for 8 days).

Hope you have a great trip! Sorry I can't offer much more advice, but it sounds like you're doing it right and should have a really nice trip!

Christina