FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help planning for Hawaii 9 nights (Aug 3-12)
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:10 pm
hoantvn

Originally Posted by Bishope2
Controller and ILuvParis both have valid points. From the research I have done regarding condo's, some are a two night minimum others are three nights. On the Big Island my wife and I have stayed at the Kanaloa at Kona complex. We go through Outrigger and use the Entertainment Card to get 50% off. There was only two of use traveling this time. We could have stayed in a "Fairway View" one bedroom unit for $135 a night this past May. But because I wanted an "Ocean Front View" I forked over $178 per night for the 2 bedroom/2 bath unit with washer/dryer. They also charge a silly fee of $15 per day for A/C, so in reality your nightly rate is $193 per night. This was the third time we stayed in this complex, three different units. All of the units have similar layouts but are decorated differently. No beach but ocean front.

There are plenty of condo's on the Big Island, some are really nice. Depends if you want views, amentities, price, etc. As for Oahu, controller apparently has the same attitude toward Oahu as I. That said, there is still something about Waikiki that drags me in at times. We have traveled to Hawaii eight times in sixteen years. We have stayed on Oahu 5 of those trips. The last two trips my wife wanted something from a particular store so we opted to stay on Oahu. If you do stay on Oahu, stay on the beach if you can afford it. Also, get a room with a view of Diamond Head.

Don't view a trip to Hawaii as just a vacation. Learn the customs, learn the traditions, learn the history, be friendly to the people and respect it all. Also, when you get there, RELAX. Don't get uptight if someone cuts you off, don't get upset if your Mai Tai takes alittle longer to arrive at your table, don't get upset if someone at the cash register is fumbling alittle too long in thier pocketbook. Too many visitors go to Hawaii and treat it as a Disney World. It is not Disney World. You can love vacationing in Hawaii or you can love Hawaii because you have truly learned about Hawaii.
Thank you for very helpful information. That helps a lot.