FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?
Old Jun 11, 10, 12:25 pm
techgirl
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I was there with three girlfriends over Memorial Day weekend. Here are our dining visits (with notes):

* Fleur-de-Lis for breakfast (twice) - across from the W French Quarter, always seems to have a wait for tables (stand in line first, order, then wait for a table) - on our first visit, our food beat our table because greedy people were grabbing tables and then sending someone to stand in line (and staff weren't patrolling this) so we ended up joining a nice stranger dining solo. Takeout the second time took even longer (I think our orders got put behind the dine-in stuff). But the food is good and I go just for the bloody mary to take back to the hotel with me!

* Antoines for a client lunch - they picked, not me, but it was good. We did the $20.10 three-course lunch menu and portions were perfectly sized for a sampling of some of their best items. Afterwards, our client and her friend (both long time old-school krewe members) took us on a narrated tour of all of the upstairs and downstairs dining rooms which was like visiting a Mardi Gras museum. I'd go back just to wander the empty dining rooms (there are like 14 in the building) again.

* Bayonna for dinner - good, but not as good as I'm used to. We took the last seating of the night and they were out of several dishes and service felt very rushed. I still love their garlic cream soup though!

* NOLA for lunch - still one of my favorite spots, I prefer it for lunch over dinner for unrushed dining. The staff is always attentive. My only pet peeve is having to ask about daily specials which aren't always presented by the staff.

* ACME Oyster House for dinner - again, we were the last table seated of the night. Food was excellent and getting in late meant we got fed quickly (as the kitchen was closing) but our waitress was surly despite the large tip we left for being the last ones in there.

* Coops for dinner - people rave about Coops but it's not really my favorite place. Then again, this was the day I stayed in bed and ordered room service brunch after a late late night, so my stomach wasn't going to be thrilled with anything I tried. The gumbo is normally good but seemed watery the night we visited and they were out of crab claws.

* August for lunch - another $20.10 lunch, I would argue that this is the BEST deal in town. I've never had a bad meal at August (although occasionally some of the tasting courses can be too wild even for my adventurous tastes) and the meal we had that was sublime, including a tempura soft shell crab that was possibly the best I'd ever tried.