FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JAL F - ORD/NRT/BKK or CX F - ORD/YYZ (Hyatt) YYZ/HKG/BKK?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:34 pm
zznoname

JAL F - ORD/NRT/BKK or CX F - ORD/YYZ (Hyatt) YYZ/HKG/BKK?

Perhaps we're beating a dead horse (I'm sure I am) or at least "over thinking" this choice or more likely, just trying everyone's patience:

BUT.....

Before we questioned the class of service, now, it's the itinerary choice that is perplexing.

JAL 009
ORD - NRT - BKK

CX 827
ORD - YYZ (Hyatt) - HKG - BKK

From other post, we got the idea to fly CX ORD/YYZ the day before our YYZ/BKK flight and use the 24 hour stay limit and a free Hyatt room to fly out the next day CX at 09.30 YYZ/HKG/BKK flight.

Another way to fly the same CX route would be to fly CX ORD/YYZ/HKG/BKK straight through, departing YYZ at 01.30 in the morning. But, that includes an all day (5 hours layover) and the early morning (01.30) flight out that just doesn't seem like much fun and flying F class at 01.30 could turn into a long sleeping flight.

Anyway, a stop in Toronto could be fun, we've never been, so we've narrowed the choice to the "straight shot" JAL ORD-NRT-BKK or the overnight at the Hyatt in Toronto and CX 09.30 out the next day.

The PLUS with JAL is the "straight through" itinerary and the chance to mix up the F classes, JAL F out and CX F back.

It's the schedule that's perplexing.

CX YYZ/BKK takes Polar Route 2 and is 3,000 miles shorter than JAL 009, which means, after the long flight to HKG (15 hrs), we only have a quick 2.5 hrs flight to BKK instead of the long 6.5 hrs from NRT after the 13 hrs from Chicago. .

We've taken the JAL ORD/NRT/BKK and the NRT/BKK leg is not much fun.

So, maybe I've answered my own question, but flying JAL and mixing up the F classes is a cool thing to do (almost a must thing to do) and the JAL straight shot thing is clean and neat.

Now, the Toronto/Hyatt thing would be fun and break up the trip into comfortable pieces (15 hrs F class + 2 hrs gets us into BKK).

BUT… sometimes we like to simply arrive at one airport and get to another airport and "be done with it", and then in that situation, we'd save Toronto for another time.

BUT… then there's the WAKE UP in YYZ and the 15 + 2.5 hrs later we are in BKK thing.

I'm hoping this is not as "well balanced" a choice as we think and you all can turn this into a black and white issue for us.

Actually, after all that crap above, I'm hoping someone will even respond.

Thanks, Jon

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 5, 2010 at 2:39 pm