FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WSJ: Luxury Chain Cuts the Flowers, Sends Out Wash at Some Hotels
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:04 am
Kettering Northants QC

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
It seems that Luxury Hotel Owners need very deep pockets and perhaps the attitude of English Premiership Football Club Owners. I recall a colleague telling me a few years back in the big UK recession so many hotels ended up being owned by the banks.

Some of the cost cutting steps are shocking - removing 24 hour room service. But some possibly make sense - outsourcing laundry - who would know / notice?

Eagle eyes on the look out for Luxury Hotel cost cutters - Lifts being switched off, the indoor pool a couple of degrees cooler, energy saving key fobs, air conditioning / heating adjusted by a couple of degrees, turning the hot water thermostat down a couple of degrees (how many can cope with the water at full temperature) - all of which can be branded and promoted through a BS customer feedback as "We've listened and we're reducing our carbon footprint".

Mothballing floors. The Desert Bambooing of the toiletries (Wynn hotels own "designer" toiletries, utter crap). Doorman not Doormen. and so one

As suggested on other posts, if 4 star hotels make all the money and some luxury hotels are facing long term poor occupancy some may have to reconfigure in order to survive - Floors 1-20 4 star hotel, Floors 20-30 Luxury hotel some sharing of facilities.

Last edited by Kettering Northants QC; Jun 3, 2010 at 11:16 am