FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will gold or diamonds get better upgrades for "tipping" the desk clerk
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:11 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by smmrfld
The answer to your question is yes. Vegas is unlike virtually any other market. May not seem fair to you, but that's the way it is.
I know these may sound like dumb questions, but this will be the first time I have used a tip as a "bribe" (the other two hotels I do this with I don't have the money out and give the tip after the fact. Should I I give them a $20 with the credit card or just have it out on the counter? If they don't happen to have resort rooms or any decent upgrades, do I take the $20 back or will they know not to expect it (if I am a diamond and can't get upgraded I sure am not going to tip the desk clerk). Should I cancel the NOR-1 upgrade request or can they upgrade me and not charge me if it's showing up on the reservation?

I realize vegas is a different market for hotels, but I am realy surprised hilton doesn't have controls in that will see clerks are giving upgrades to a priceline member over a diamond or gold. I realize desk clerks don't make much, and I have no problem with them getting a tip on a priceline reservation upgrade IF the hilton customers paying their rates who are premium and give hilton a lot of business are getting first priority.