FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newbury North {GBR} (formerly Hilton)
Old May 29, 2010, 2:52 pm

Big improvement

I have been staying here on-and-off every few months for about 5 years now, as office is close by. This time I was very impressed with the changes they have made;

1. They are the test site for a new concept in UK Hiltons 'The Space' - see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...furbished.html

Basically this means that there is a free high speed internet throughout the lobby/reception/restaurant, and speed is really excellent - much faster than paid access at other UK hiltons. There are also 20 or so large monitors dotted around the lobby, with the ability to plug in your own PC/phone etc and discuss with colleagues, plus plug sockets, comfy seats etc. Very nicely done IMO. Also a number of PCs with free internet access.
You are also free to use the restuarant with tables for meetings, as it is now one large open space.
I think this setup is ideal for informal business meetings.

2. The renovated rooms are pretty good - a huge improrement on how they used to be, beds are good, TV flat screen and large, more channels etc. Not amazing, but given the low price and physical structure I think they have done a good job

3. Gold/Diamond amenities are fine, and always given - no need to argue as in the past. Gold/Diamond gets upgrade, free breakfast, free drink or two at bar, some water, wine, chocolate etc. I have seen worse in a lot more expensive places - and given the free internet in the bar I would prefer this to some ELs with paid internet.

All in all I would have no hesitation recommending this place now, and told the staff there. They are also taking pride in the changes and debut of the new concept.