FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Foreign Nationals' Rights on Entry to the US
Old May 23, 2010, 11:25 am
Teefaf

Programs: BA Blue
Ah, I see. Many thanks for your responses, this is what I had feared... it's a little scary in concept.

Theoretically, what would happen if I got fed up at secondary screening and decided I no longer wanted to enter the US? Am I free to walk out and return to my home country? Would my rearrangements then have to be made at my own expense?

It complicated by the fact that I'm on a RTW ticket, home is the UK but point of departure for the US is Australia. Do I have to return to my point of departure, or my home country? Or am I free to go anywhere I choose?

Originally Posted by Firebug4
Why are you assuming that you will be sent to secondary? What profile do you think you fit? If you get yourself all worked up and anxious before you even talk to the officer you are setting yourself up to send yourself to secondary. Just talk to the primary officer answer his questions truthfully and you will be fine. The questions will be related to your length of stay, purpose of your trip, the ability to support yourself while on the trip etc.
I'm not worked up - just accepting the situation as it stands. There is a profile of person they look for as a 'potential terrorist' visually, plus stamps on passports, etc. I fit that profile, without going into more specifics. I'm perfectly capable of being polite outwardly, but who wouldn't be anxious at the prospect of being detained for an unlimited amount with no rights at all?

I accept they have a right to ask these questions but what makes me anxious is anecdotal evidence of the attitude and treatment others in a similar situation have received while undergoing secondary screening - if that helps you understand my mindset at all. Not a pleasant business to be involved in for anyone, no matter how innocent (in fact, particularly so if you are innocent!)

And yes, sorry, I should have provided more info in my OP. British citizen entering on VWP, but as described above entering from Aus. It's a business trip; have always avoided going to US for leisure for this very reason.

Wondering as well how much difference documentation proving I'm there on business would help my case... but I guess it's a combination of factors, so no simple answer.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts