FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice re. usage of miles...
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2010, 5:36 am
JALPak
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by whkento
Hi, everyone. I'm trying to figure out the best use of my miles.

First, a bit of background... I am probably going to try to get JGC status this year (50,000 FOPs). I'm currently at 14,100 FOPs. My wife wants to take the family to Brisbane this summer. After that, I may take a couple of trips to New York in order to make the miles for JGC.

If I remember correctly, award tickets don't accumulate FOPs. Is that correct? (If not, that'll change everything.) If so, I'm thinking of using a bunch of my points as follows: Award tickets to Brisbane for my wife and 2 kids and a few JAL coupons toward my ticket (so I can get FOPs). We currently have a bit over 140,000 miles and will have more soon. That way we can all go cheap, but I still get FOPs.

Does that make sense to you guys? (Again, I'm still trying to figure out how stuff works, so I really appreciate you sharing your experience and wisdom.)

TIA,

Kento

You guys in Japan are making me jealous! So easy to get miles over there. Nope, award tickets can't accumulate miles/FOPs. But I were you, I would spend the miles for upgrade considered how long the flights are. It's only 30,000 miles for a roundtrip JFK upgrade for Japan members. But of course that would considerably increase your cost

Also, you can consider doing 1 MR trip now to hit JMB Crystal and wait for roughly 2 months before you do the other ones. That way you can earn 50% bonus miles and preassign the exit rows if you are flying in Y.

By the way, are you flying to Tokyo for the meet up? That means more FOPs for you