FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Possible AS bug on upgrades?
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2010, 9:41 am
jcooper90

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold
Possible AS bug on upgrades?

Hello all - Wanted to share an experience i had today with MVPG upgrades.

I orginally booked a flight to return home from PDX-LAX for tonight at 8:30 - I was using the cheapest fare possible, and expected an upgrade at 72 hours, because i usually get the 72hour upgrade (not a full 1st cabin).

Things changed, and I was able to take the 5:30 flight, which unfortunatly usually books full in 1st. When i made the change (4 days ago) - i upgraded my fare to an instant upgrade fare, but was told that the instant upgrade fare would clear at 36 hours if any seats were available. I paid the extra $$ to get on instant upgrade fare class - to help my odds of getting the upgrade. (there were 6 open at the time).

At 36 hours, i called to check on the upgrade, but was told i was #2 on the list, and there were 3 seats available. I didn't push the point that it was an instant upgrade fare - and waited it out.

This AM - i called again, and was told there was one seat - but i had not been upgraded yet - the agent made it sound like this was a known bug, and he would submit the request to research why the upgrade did not automatically take place.

Since it was day of arrival - he had me check in online, and when i did, i was able to upgrade during the checkin process - so now i have a boarding pass for first.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but if you have an instant upgrade fare that does not upgrade at 72 hours, and still does not upgrade at 36 hours, I would call the desk before the day of departure to make sure your upgrade goes in, before any on else gets the seat.

Any one else experienced this? I was not aware of the 36 hour window before this incident.

Thoughts?