FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VVIP Level
Thread: VVIP Level
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2002, 3:48 pm
JSD

Programs: QF P1/LTG; AA 1MM; UA 1MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FewMiles:
AA does have a VIP level, just like most airlines do. It's all very hush-hush though. If you have to ask about what benefits it brings, however, that is a sure sign that you do not qualify for it.
</font>
Ha! A few years back, when I was exlusively flying UA and had done about 250K miles in 12 months, mostly on full-fare Y tix, I became fascinated with UA's VIP status and what it would take to get it. Mostly I just wanted double-upgrades on 3-class 767 transcons, but thats another story.

So, in my youthful exuberance (I was 25 at the time) I setup an appointment with Irene, the head of UA special services at BOS (where I was based at the time). I basically asked her straight out what it would take to get UA VIP. Her response was basically that "if I have to ask, I don't qualify".

She actually had pulled up my flight record before our meeting, and thanked me for my business (she said I was one of the top 1Ks out of the 700+ in BOS at the time) but that they generally didn't give out VIP based on miles/revenue alone.

Oh well, it didn't hurt to try.

Okay, that was pretty off-topic for the AA forum, but whatever. The point being that all major airlines have VIP programs, all of them keep it pretty hush-hush, and when you qualify, they'll contact you, not the other way around.