FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP officer gave me a stern warning that my laptop shouldn't have ripped DVD/Blu-ray
Old May 13, 2010, 10:58 am
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelsonic
A contradiction, since the DMCA on one hand targets breaking copy-protection, but OTOH it also states that the law is not meant to interfere with that which is arguably protected by the fair use defense, including backing up legally obtained media for archival purposes.
You're correct, it is a contradiction, which is one of the reasons I think the DMCA is a horrible law. That's what you get when lobbyists draft legislation.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm still confused - under what authority does CBP have to enforce digital rights laws?

Is it illegal to import digital media you do not own and is this part of our border and customs laws?
That's an interesting question. It is illegal to import counterfeit digital media (other than a single example for your personal use). However, it is not illegal to possess infringing digital media.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts