FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP officer gave me a stern warning that my laptop shouldn't have ripped DVD/Blu-ray
Old May 13, 2010, 9:14 am
avsfan733

Apologies for the multiquote

Originally Posted by Sam5
1. Download and install Truecrypt (works on netbooks)
2. Set up your encrypted container
3. Move everything to the encrypted container
this is good advice whether or not you have any media on your drive. This is actually a better solution then whole disk encryption because it raises less eyebrows. CBP will definitely notice if they can't get your computer to boot because its wholly encrypted. However, these ladies and gents aren't Bill Gates and an encrypted container will most likely pass without notice. I would suggest not moving *everything* so that the CBP can make a show of searching through whats left.

Originally Posted by greentips
As for copying copy protected DVD, even that may be ok under DMCA if the copy protection is copied intact. IE you don't decode the encryption or otherwise disable this, from what I am told.
That is my understanding, that if copy protection isn't touched (aka you copy the raw 10101101 from the disk, that the DMCA never comes into play. There are a significant number of players that will accomplish this and mount and play the raw file. Under the DVD 'license', it is fine. However, the Blueray 'license' actually requires that you have the physical media present when viewing.

Originally Posted by halls120
That it is illegal for me to make a backup copy for my own use of media I have purchased is stupidity at its finest.

It is this kind of practice by the entertainment industry that leads to people saying "screw the law, I'm going to make as many copies as I like.
yup...however they would (and have) made the argument that it isn't illegal to copy, its only illegal to break encryption. The solution they proposed is playing your movie on a TV and videotaping the TV (seriously). They made that argument to try and prevent DMCA from being overturned for what it is, a serious and unnecessary restriction of consumer freedom.