FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP officer gave me a stern warning that my laptop shouldn't have ripped DVD/Blu-ray
Old May 12, 2010, 8:39 pm
LuvsParis

Originally Posted by Sam5
1. Download and install Truecrypt (works on netbooks)
2. Set up your encrypted container
3. Move everything to the encrypted container
The machines we have at the college must be purchased through special, state-run channels I don't know if that makes a difference, but they do not break the code on most disks.

Some highly commercial late release movies cannot be copied on our machine (and as I said before, I don't know how to rip or burn anything).

But, if the thing will copy on our machine at the college, I copy it and make copies - leaving each section of the course set up to go at the right section in three different computers.

The people who sold the machine discussed the legalities of it with our administration quite a bit and the ethics committee had to give mandatory "training" on its use.

This same service is offered for scholars at another facility on our campus, but they have to have an academic purpose for using the machine.

My point being is that some DVD releases are not copy-protected for this type of machine sold through educational/scientific supply houses.

But, as to the point of whether you, Joe Citizen, are allowed to have an extra copy - I do believe several court cases all around the nation are bringing ambiguous results. Generalizing from the small number of Supreme Court cases on the topic persuades me not one bit.

I still believe you may make a copy (photograph, recording, any other form of representation) of something you own - it's inherent in ownership and obviously changes dynamically according to what technology is available for making the copy.

You may also show 'your" single copy to friends or family without breaking the law (my view). But at the rate we're going with expanding "enforcement of ridiculous laws" with non-enforcement of laws in other areas (classroom size for kids, as an example), who knows? Maybe they'll stop you from watching your one single copy with another human.