FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AirTran catches Midwest in March...or maybe not
Old May 12, 2010, 6:58 am
newsmanhoss

Originally Posted by knope2001
I would hope that nobody is doing this intentionally, nor that anybody would be willfully allowing an error this signfiicant to continue if they were aware of it.

People are human, however, and there is of course oppotunity for misunderstanding, careless error, and even deception. Not knowing the mechanics of the reporting, I can't really know where this stems from. This could be at Skywest, AirTran or the county, and it could be an honest mistake by an intern or be the result of something less honest by someone eager to inflate the nubmers of AirTran or the airport as a whole.

I suppose some would naturally expect me to challenge the results when AirTran+Skywest matches or passes Midwest+Frontier. Trouble here is that the traffic just doesn't match the capacity and the context. And if in fact AirTran's mainline departing MKE load factor had increased in march anywhere near 16.5 points from 77.4% to 93.9%, we would have heard about it.

For what it's worth, at least twice these MKE montly stats have contained a major error. Once they missed Continental in their calculations, and another time if you added up the market share of each carrier you got something well over 100% (like 113% if I recall correctly). Both those times I sent them an e-mail and the error was corrected shortly, although with no response to me.
Looks like you might have to send another e-mail