FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of switching to AA - please help
Old Apr 6, 2002, 9:15 pm
Damian

Programs: United, AA
Thinking of switching to AA - please help

For some reason, I've never thought I may even think about flying AA. I've never flown on AA, but because I need to start planning my international trips this year, I need to pick up one carrier along with the "alliance" so I can get all the benefits of it.

I pretty much disqualified UA and Star Alliance so it's either, AA and OneWorld (hope Swiss will join them soon) or NW alone (no CO whenever possible) with KLM and partners.

I really am confused and need some clear answers please. I know you guys can help me

Let me ask about the concerns I have with AAdvantage program, all right?

1. I'm Silver on CO so I can ask for the comp to Gold right?
2. Should I take the challenge instead? Can I get comped to Gold and then enroll in Platinum challenge so I can at least get bonuses while qualifying for Plat?
3. What are the upgradable fares on AA while flying internationally?
4. Can I upgrade with miles the flights on OneWorld partners? SWISS (later on), British, and so on?
5. Have I heard right that I won't get AA miles for BA flights from US-Europe?
6. Have I asked already too much?
7. Is AA really a good choice if living in ORD and then later on in PBI/MIA area?
8. On average, are AA's fares really competitive internationally and domestically from ORD and MIA?
9. Is it quite easy to get upgraded on international flights?
10. Is the OneWorld alliance really such a good partnership of all the participating airlines?

If I could get somebody to answer some of these questions I would really appreciate that.

It will really save me a couple days of night sleep

Thanks guys. I've searched the AA board but couldn't really find exact answers to my questions. So please forgive me If I missed it.