FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATL or Bust! (and a FRA Interlude) with LH and UA - BHX-FRA-ORD-ATL-IAD-LHR
Old May 4, 2010, 3:36 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part VI - ATL Take 2, ATL-IAD

ATL, Take 2.

Another $8 later I was at the front door for ATL Departures. I walked to the main security queues to find the place almost deserted, and proceeded through security with no discussions over film scanning.

ATL seems to be well facilities, both air side and ground side. I'd just wish they'd sort the luggage claim areas so they weren't a major hike from one end of the terminal to the other.

The dead of the morning...

The gate was a short hike away, so I made myself comfortable whilst announcements were made. As Starbucks opened, I made my way over for a caffeine shot, then back to the gate where the plane was being readied to board.

United Airlines , Atlanta Hartsfield–Jackson International - Washington Dulles International
Canadair CRJ-700 , Seat 10A
Operated by United Express/Mesa Airlines
534 miles flown, 600 miles earned.

The pictures

Oh its back to Messy Air. Surprisingly for a Messy Air aircraft, this CRJ appears to be in better condition than the CRJ-200 that I've been in before, but again - there are signs of wear and tear - and that it needs love.

TLC need...Apply in writing to Mesa air (cash up front though)...

Boarding was completed on time, but of course, this is no ordinary CRJ-700, it's a Mesa CRJ-700. Which means of course whilst its reasonably clean, nothing that a deep clean wouldn't fix as well as a trip to the shop to repair the little cracks.

Whilst boarding was going on there was of course the usual issue of Rollaboards and no one wanting to give up their rollaboards. Sigh. Whilst I know people love them, please consider what class of aircraft you're going to fly on. If it's a tiddly regional jet, the chances of a big bag with wheels isn't going to fit into your overhead isn't it?

Retrojet - with clown nose - well it's better than looking at people trying to stuff rollaboards on a RJ isn't it?

Push-back was on time, and after taxing all the way down to the Fly Delta Jets hanger, we turned and took off.

So the dominant carrier here is....?

Off we go!

Darkness

Climbing out - Darkness and light

After a nice long climb-out, a drinks service was carried out - and the long 1 hour and 25 plod over to Washington Dulles begun.

Drinks

A lovely morning to fly

As the flight went on, we were warned of Dulles weather (i.e. Pea-soup - similar the ORD the day before, as the storms had plagued Georgia had moved north to DC).

On finals for Dulles

After cloud skipping and a fair few bumps, the plane landed in the back end of Dulles, and a long taxi to the infamous Dulles Bus station (or as everyone knows it better - the A Gates)

Once on stand, we were back on A2 I thanked the crew and deplaned.

Overall: A standard CRJ hop. But there are better options on equipment out there - the CRJ's feel more cramped each time I get aboard one... And parking up at the Dulles Bus Station feels like the final insult...