FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of Switching to AA
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2002, 6:38 pm
aparsuites

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thinking of Switching to AA

I am a CO Gold (equivalent to AA Plat) and I a considering jumping to AA. Thus, I have a few questions:

This business of 3-class airplains being sold as 2-class planes on the EWR-LAX route sounds great! Can you reserve a J seat at the time of ticketing, and if so, is this usually difficult to do? Also, are these seats held for elites?

Do they always insist that you take the Plat Challenge, or can they be convinced to comp simply based on your status on another airline? Also, if I were to enroll in the Plat Challenge as someone with the equivalent level on CO, would they give me elite treatment during the time I was completing the challenge?

I have heard only good things about the international upgrade policies. Do they have any hidden disadvantages? I know that even the most discounted published fares are upgrade-eligible. Are they generally available, and if not, can you wait-list for them?

Finally, how does the partnership with BA work? I know you can't get credit on BA transatlantics, but do they have codeshares on BA from LHR to other European destinations? If so, are these only destinations to which AA doesn't fly itself?

With MRTC, what is the seat pitch?

Thanks a whole lot for help regarding any of my questions. Also, if there's anything else you might advise someone who's thinking of switching to AA, don't hesitate to mention it.