FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Airways Buddy Pass
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:03 pm
BoeingBoy

Programs: None
Originally Posted by sebs
Is it possible to get a buddy pass for a multi-city trip? Or would I need two separate buddy passes? Especially since there's 3 different continents involved and 3 months apart.
You should be able to get one buddy pass. With US passes (buddy or employee) one pass is good for either a one-way or round trip back to the departure airport. The only portion I'm not sure of is whether the system will let you build a PNR with up to a 90 day gap between flights since I've never done it. However, since buddy pass prices are based on a zone system there shouldn't be much difference in cost if you do it with 3 one-way passes.

When I get my ticket/boarding pass on the day I leave to Orlando, will it show the flight for US to Europe which would be 3 months later? Or would I get the whole ticket or something?[/quote]

You won't get a ticket. If the system allows up to a 90 day break between flights, you'll get what amounts to a PNR which includes your name and travel details. You don't even get a boarding pass till just before you get on the airplane - there's no way to get one in advance for a specific flight, nevermind for a series of flights up to 90 days in the future.

[qupte]My friends says that there are many seats available though which he would have seen on whatever system employees have access to.[/quote]

The number of open seats can and does change up to the time you get on the flight. As others have said, the US seat chart isn't a reliable indicator. Also remember that those using buddy passes are at the bottom of the pecking order for getting on a flight. There may appear to be a lot of seats available, but other non-revenue passengers (employees, their families, express employees, their families, etc) could fill them leaving you at the gate with no seat.

Also as someone said, getting to/from Europe during the summer is difficult for employees and can be nearly impossible for buddy pass holders. So if you undertake this adventure, leave yourself plenty of spare time. You don't want to be trying to get to Europe the day your 90 day visa waiver runs out only to not get on the flight and exceed the 90 day limit. I'd leave at least a week or two leeway to Europe so at worst you could get back to Aruba within the 90 days.

Jim