FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel [Master Thread]
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:24 pm
TCnSanDiegoCA

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I"m here now in the middle of a 4 night stay.

I called the Plat Concierge after making my reservation to request a suite. On check-in I was told I had been upgraded to a club level room. I quietly mentioned I was hoping for a larger room, and the FD agent made a couple of trips to the office area and came back and said she had upgraded me to a suite.

I was given x74, a corner suite with great views of the harbor and a small balcony. Nice size suite, very comfortable. The hotel is a bit older - maybe built in the 70s - but obviously updated recently. Two 42" flat screens. Oddly there is a mini fridge on the floor in the living room area behind a chair, and a microwave behind that (on the floor, plugged in).

No mention of platinum amentity on check-in, I'll make sure to check on it when I check out on Friday. I was offered a late checkout on arrival though.

The club lounge is open M-F in the mornings and evenings. Usual fare, beers, wine, sodas, water. A couple of hot items each night as well as cheese/crackers/fruit. Breakfast has been hot sandwiches (croissant, egg, cheese, and sausage or bacon), breads, yogurt, fruit, cereal.

Parking is $12 to self park in the garage or $22 for valet. The garage is a bit of a hike from the hotel entrance so I chose valet.

Area is okay/nice. The hotel is advertised as "the only Norfolk hotel directly on the water". There's a nice walkway and a few harbor cruise operators and a ferry service to go across the harbor. Next door is a food court with a handful of restaurants (Outback, Hooters, Jillians, and a few smaller places). There's a very large shopping mall a few blocks away as well, and a number of nice restaurants, all within walking distance.

I stopped in the restaurant last night. At 9:30 they were closed, but I was able to order off a limited menu in the bar area. Had the She-Crab soup, which was very good. The restaurant had a wine tasting toninght and also offered a few samples off the menu, I believe this is a regular Wednesday night event.

My only peeve is the internet service. No wireless except in the lounge and in the the lobby area. And it sucks. I'm using a "Links" area PC now, and it's not very good either.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the hotel, in spite of the internet service.

Last edited by TCnSanDiegoCA; Apr 28, 2010 at 7:25 pm Reason: corrected spelling /typo