FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any suggestions for business/business casual attire for young women (~age 25)?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:12 am
StellaStar

Programs: DL Silver, WN A-List+, SPG Platinum
Thanks for all your replies! You have all been very helpful ^

Originally Posted by kipper
If you're looking for inexpensive, check oldnavy.com for a few.
I didn't realize ON has good work pieces. I'll definitely look into, especially since I am on a budget.

Originally Posted by freecia
Many sales associates can pull together outfits for you and you just have to decide which pieces you like.
I heard that Nordstrom has personal stylists available at no cost. Has anyone tried this service? Are you pressured to buy the outfits they suggest?

Originally Posted by freecia
One last piece of advice - avoid clothing that makes you look like you're playing dress up in your mom's clothes.

I sometimes have to remind me of this when I shop at Ann Taylor and other shops that target the 35/40+ set. Good to look work appropriate. Bad to look like I need to cover up underarm pudge, a non-existing waist, gravity bound "ladies", and cankles that some wonderful pieces meant for the more mature set are designed to do.
Haha! That's what I was trying to express when I said I wanted to maintain a youthful look.

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
If I were putting together a capsule wardrobe for you, I'd suggest the following:

- 2 suits (probably pantsuits)
- 2 pairs of trousers (not chino-type fabric) - something like the Editor pant I mentioned earlier
- 1 pair of somewhat more casual trousers for casual events - chinos, including capris
- 3 shirts that are polished enough to wear on their own without a jacket (e.g., the Thomas Pink shirts I mentioned earlier)
- 2 sleeveless shell tops for layering under jackets
- 2 cardigan sweaters (one black or navy, and something more interesting) for layering over the shell tops or shirts
- A good raincoat that can layer over your suit but isn't too masculine. It can be a bright colour but it should work with the colours of your suits. I have a great one from Rainforest (ruched, packable travel coat)
This is a great list!

Originally Posted by tatia
For $20, my tailor takes in the body of the jacket, so it looks like I'm wearing my own clothes. My Ann Taylor suits actually look age appropriate after a touch of alteration.
A good reminder to invest in a relationship with a good tailor!

Again, thanks so much for all the advice. Off to Ann Taylor, Express, Banana Republic, Limited, J Crew, Macy's, H&M, and Old Navy!! phew!