FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF Premium Voyager Review
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:13 pm
pferrandi

Programs: Delta DM 2M, AA EP, Marriott AE
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Regarding the seats - supposedly they are the same as the Cathay Pacific new Economy seats which on the three hour flight SIN-HKG were already uncomfortable because they were so hard.

In terms of value for money, I think that comment applies to Premium Economy generally. Having flown BA World Traveller Plus and Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy, the 2:1 ratio of increased price to increased space is not worth it. Even if the cabins are relatively empty, you can't lift up the armrests to increase your space. Of course, I'd never turn down an op-up!
The key question, wether you can afford PV or Business, is would you rather pay for added comfort or stay in coach! You may not like the price but when you have to get going ... Not sure about many of the routes but on CDG-NYC you have almost no chance to have a lightly loaded Y, and no chance to use multiple seats ... get ready to seat tight (unless you can get the 747-400 upper deck not flying NYC anymore ... available to ATL though).

My approach: I would rather not go than pay too much for a little bit more comfort. I eliminated all personal trips to Europe until Christmas. I will not rackup $1000-$1400 in coach or $2,000 in PV between NYC and CDG! Now I understand that others may have obligations (sorry!).

On another front I just bought $2,800 tickets between LAX and SYD with DL using Systemwide Upgrades because in that case I think it makes more sense. Still al lot of money but coach for 15 hours ... ouch!