FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Headline: WSJ: US Airways Bd Decided To Discontinue Merger Talks With United
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:10 am
shanshan

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by balderdash
So do you think this was the plan all along to get Continental more seriously talking again?
I have to think that was part of UA's strategy beginning talks to start.. knowing that Continental wouldn't let a LCC/UA merger to happen whilst they stand pat.

I wonder if US Air is calling UA's bluff to talk for real and now backing out, to give less incentive for Continental to pursue talks (since UA was not going to accept a US Air merger anyway). I have to think Continental still talking to UA given where oil is today, imagine some impetus from talks gone.

No one has really focused on regulatory rhetoric about this merger yet.. which is suprising to me E.G., Delta/NWA had every Democrat red in the face. I guess that is still to come depending on where Continental/UAL decide to push it..

Poor US Air... rebuffed by Delta a few years ago.. now United.. and everyone knows they are somewhat desperate..