View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 10, 8:28 am
dcpatti

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16 View Post
I booked an award seat on tomorrows PHL-LHR a month ago. So far, it looks like it will go. I called US today to try to cancel it to allow stranded pax go, and told them I could rebook in June or get the miles back--but no dice. They told me I had to pay a $250 redeposit fee...so guess I'm going tomorrow...hoping for VDB...and pissed at US for not allowing me to give up my seat to people who have been stranded here for days.
Yeah I don't understand this either; doesn't make sense to penalize someone who might be freeing up a seat for someone who needs it more. I'd think it's a win-win; US gets to accomodate someone who really needs it, the volunteer gets to make alternate plans in a timely fashion, and one less person to pay compensation for a VDB. The only thing I can think of as a justification behind this "all or nothing" type policy is increased consistency; if the ticket agents have a little more flexibility in allowing penalty-free changes, then it's another situation where you can get what you want simply by playing Agent Roulette and calling back several times till you find a Friendly. And inconsistency in applying rules is one of the most common gripes I see when it comes to US. So maybe that is where this comes from?