FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using cpap on-board flight
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:47 am
Pat89339
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
Or, you can use saline gel or saline spray before dozing off. @:-)

My DME provider suggested "Ayr" brand and it has worked fine. I haven't used on a flight yet, but have travelled without the humidifier with no issues.
I can vouch for Ayr. I started using it when I was on O2 24/7 and was especially important when flying with O2. I use it in conjunction with my BiPap when in dry air situations (airplanes, LAS or other desert locations, heated rooms in the winter). I also recommend it to total strangers on airplanes when I see they are on O2.

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Thanks for the idea about the saline gel or saline spray. What about the throat. MY throat becomes very dry too and hurts from dryness.
How many different brands/models does your DME provider carry? Are you tied to selecting only those brands/models your DME carries? My provider has been reluctant to supply anth unit other than those that they carry.
My BiPap does not have a humidifier. When I fly, I try to hydrate as much as possible before going to sleep and ask the FAs to make sure there is water in my glass at all times. I have found I can get a solid 4 hours sleep if I do before my nasal passages and throat becomes totally dry. I rehydrate and go back to sleep.

My DME provider didn't carry the machine my pulmonary doc prescribed and there was a bit of a battle with the HMO to get the prescribed machine covered. I had to remain in the hospital 4 extra days until they were able to resolve the issue and get the machine. So they ended up paying an extra 40K+ on that battle they lost in the end.